FAIRFAX COUNTY NAACP
Officer and At-Large Members Election
The branch election of officers and at-large members will take place on November 12th. Here are important timelines of associated events and activities that will occur prior to the elections. As with all elections, this is an opportunity to make your voice heard.
- September 10 - The Nomination Committee is selected at the September 10thgeneral membership meeting. The Nomination Committee is responsible for establishing the “slate” for officers and at-large members for the 2017 – 2018 term. The Nomination Committee consists of no less than 5 and not more than 15 members. There can be no more than two (2) current Executive Committee members on this committee. Any current branch member can volunteer to participate on this committee.
- September 15 - The Nomination Committee will hold its first meeting at the Burke Library (our current general membership meeting location) at 7PM. This is a tentative date and will be coordinated with the members of the committee, once they are identified. A chairperson of the Nomination Committee will be voted on at their first meeting.
- The Nomination Committee Chair will determine future meetings of the Committee to determine the Slate which consist of: President, VP (1,2,3), Secretary, Asst Secretary, Treasurer, Asst Treasurer, and At-Large Members. 2016 elections. There can be only one nominee for each position, decided by the Nomination Committee. All nominees must be a member of the Fairfax County NAACP branch prior to April 1, 2016, have agreed to run for the position being nominated for, and have signed a nomination form.
- October 8 – The slate of officers and at-large members will be presented to the membership during the October 8th general membership meeting. Also, nomination petitions will be accepted from the floor for any position. Each nomination petition from the floor must be signed by 3 current members. The Secretary will verify the membership of those signing the petition and verify that any nominee from the floor has been a member of the Fairfax County NAACP branch prior to April 1, 2016.
- Also at this meeting, the Election Supervisory Committee will be established.This committee consists of five (5) members. Each presidential candidate can appoint one person to serve on this committee. This is in addition to the 5. It is responsible for conducting the election (developing numbered ballots, determining method of voting, oversight of counting ballots, announcing final decision). The secretary will call the first meeting of the Election Supervisory Committee. A committee chair will be elected at this meeting. Candidates CAN NOT particpate on the Election Supervisory Committee.
Nov 12 – Election of officers and at-Large members held at the Kings Park Library. In order to vote, you must be a Fairfax County NAACP branch member 30 days prior to the election . There will be no Absentee Ballots.
- Nov 19 – "Run off" election is conducted, if necessary. There will be no Absentee Ballots.
- For questions, about the timeline and/or procedures or if interested in participating on the Nomination or Election Supervisory Committees, please contact Fairfax CountyBranch Secretary, Florine Murphy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also read the Bylaws pertaining to elections, located under "Documents" on this website.